Sign up to receive email updates
Jobs and the Economy
Growing the economy and creating jobs are my top priorities in Congress.
In order to rebuild our economy to better compete in the global marketplace, we must take bold actions to out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build our competitors. This is why I strongly support targeted government investments in things like high-tech R&D, clean energy, education, and infrastructure that will help spawn new, innovative businesses and create quality jobs that can’t be shipped overseas.
These responsible investments have the added benefit of reducing our long term deficit – a problem that must be addressed – by creating jobs and increasing economic growth.
We must also invest in rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure. We need a new transportation plan that improves our roads, bridges and waterways while also creating quality construction jobs and growing our economy.
Whether it’s in clean energy, transportation or telecommunications, we must create high-skill, high wage jobs and regain our standing as the global leader in innovation and manufacturing to rebuild a stronger economy for the future that works for everyone.
- Invest in high-tech and clean energy innovation and manufacturing
- Help small businesses grow and hire by increasing access to credit and reducing unnecessary regulations
- Balance the budget and address long-term fiscal challenges
- Rebuild crumbling schools, roads and bridges to create needed construction jobs
- Helped pass the Recovery Act into law to jumpstart our economy, create and save jobs, give tax cuts for small businesses and 95% of American workers, rebuild our infrastructure and invest in education, clean energy, and technology.
- Secured federal funding for local universities, business development and workforce training agencies.
- Voted for historic reforms to end taxpayer-funded bailouts, and protect and empower consumers to make the best decisions on mortgages, credit cards, and their own financial future.
- Worked to enact several measures to increase access to credit for local businesses.
- Voted for billions in tax breaks for Central Coast working families and small businesses.