Sign up to receive email updates
Our current immigration system is broken and we must fix it.
America has a proud and unique history as a nation of immigrants. Immigrant communities have always brought a vitality and energy to our country that is imbedded in our very culture and history. But our current immigration system is broken, holding back our country and our economy. That’s why I support comprehensive immigration reform that keeps families together, secures our ports and borders, and stabilizes our agricultural workforce while protecting our workers and businesses. I oppose a misguided, piecemeal approach that does nothing to provide long-term solutions or create a fair and functioning immigration system.
- Ensure our border security agencies have the resources they need to maintain operational control of our borders and other ports of entry
- Create an earned pathway to citizenship which allows hard working people to fully participate in society and helps keep families together
- Enact the DREAM Act to provide young people who came to the United States as children access to a quality education and a path to citizenship
- Ensure a stable and consistent workforce for our agricultural industry, which is critical to our Central Coast economy
- Reform our visa system to ensure visas are allocated efficiently, alleviating lengthy wait times that hinder our economy and keeps legal immigrants and their overseas loved ones separated for years
- Original cosponsor of the Reuniting Families Act to reduce family immigration visa backlogs and promote timely reunification of families
- Cosigned letter to House Leadership encouraging passage of a bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform bill
- Hosting an ongoing series of meetings with local businesses, universities, and faith and community groups on how best to reform our immigration system to meet the unique needs of the Central Coast
- Organized workshops with legal experts on the Central Coast to help DREAMERs and their families navigate the process of applying for deferred action in response to the Obama Administration initiative
- Worked with a bipartisan congressional coalition to ensure full funding for State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, which reimburses states for the costs of incarcerating convicted undocumented criminals