Sign up to receive email updates
Our current immigration system is broken and we must fix it.
We have a proud and unique history as a nation of immigrants. Immigrant communities have always brought a vitality and energy to our country that is imbedded in our very culture and history. That’s why I support humane, comprehensive and long-lasting immigration reform that keeps families together, secures our ports and borders, and gets our economy working again by protecting our workers and businesses. I oppose misguided, piecemeal approaches to reform that only penalize workers, farmers and small businesses without fixing the system.
- Ensure our border security agencies have the resources they need to maintain operational control of our borders and other ports of entry
- Enact the DREAM Act to provide young people that came to the United States as children access to education benefits and a path to citizenship – smart and talented young people, who have only known America as their home, deserve the honor and responsibility of citizenship
- Help farm workers achieve legal status and permanent residency, while providing growers and ranchers with a reliable labor force by enacting bipartisan AgJOBS legislation
- Protect California’s farmers from a misguided e-Verify mandate that would devastate our treasured agriculture industry
- Reform our visa system to ensure visas are allocated efficiently, alleviate lengthy wait times that keep legal immigrants and their overseas loved ones separated for years, and reduce roadblocks that prevent family members from obtaining visas
- Facilitate ongoing dialogue with local businesses, universities, and advocacy groups on how best to reform the system.
- Voted to enhance security at the Southwest Border, including funding 1,200 additional Border Patrol agents and supply additional technology and resources to improve interagency response to fight crime at our borders.
- Worked to ensure full funding for State Criminal Alien Assistance Program to reimburse states for the costs of incarcerating convicted undocumented criminals.